What are the benefits of using tape on sporting injuries?
What is taping?
Kinesiology Therapeutic (KT) taping is a relatively new phenomenon in sports and athletics, but one that has started to gain more mainstream popularity recently. KT tape is used to support and relieve pain in the muscles, joints and ligaments. Taping can reduce swelling, increase mobility and enhance recovery. Some people also use the taping method to prevent injuries, especially if they have a particular weak spot they want to protect.
What is it good for?
Taping is great for lots of minor sports and athletic injuries including sprains, muscle strains and things like tendonitis. Another great thing about taping is that your range of motion is not limited, so you can still continue to play sport or exercise without any big restrictions of movement.
How does it work? and how does it work with the Better Nature Sports Gel?
When you injure yourself, blood and other fluids build up causing inflammation and swelling. If there’s too much inflammation, your body’s lymphatic system may struggle to remove it. This means the lymphatic vessels become compressed, which prevents oxygen and nutrients from being delivered to healing tissues.
When KT tape is properly applied, the elasticity of the KT tape gently lifts the skin from the tissues below. This gentle lifting of the skin creates a space to improve blood and lymphatic flow which ultimately helps to alleviate pressure and reduce swelling. Once blood flow is restored, oxygen and nutrients are better able to reach damaged tissues to help enhance healing. This means your body can recover faster and more fully.
The Better Nature Sports Gel is a unique fast evaporating and absorbing formula which you apply over the affected area. Applying the gel before taping provides additional, temporary pain relief. You can tape just 30 seconds after applying the gel. Check out our taping tutorial here.
Why is taping such a helpful technique?
- Taping can be used in multiple ways to help a variety of issues and injuries.
- Taping supports muscles that are tired or injured, which helps relieve pain and take the stress off the muscle, allowing for a faster recovery, combined with an effective topical pain relief this
- In addition to taking stress off and relieving the pain of an injured muscle, taping is designed to encourage lymphatic flow. By encouraging lymphatic flow, recovery time is greatly reduced.
- Our bodies sometimes become sore and injured by everyday things like bad posture, overcompensating for other old injuries or just by giving into bad habits like slouching or laying on a couch for long periods of time. Taping your body in a certain way can actually help retrain your muscles to move in ways that are more natural or safer.
- There is also a big potential for athletes to use taping as a preventative measure when they train. All the above benefits remain applicable, only in a way that prevents an injury rather than treating it.
As with any injury, each person and each incident should be dealt with individually. Always seek advice from your doctor, physio or chiro before deciding on a treatment path. Even if you require pain relief or more of a long-term management plan, the use of KT tape can really help your recovery and general wellbeing in a more natural way.